Thursday, April 16, 2009

Taking Photos - To Flash or Not?


I have a fantastic camera - a Digital Pentax K100 SLR. It has lots of bells and whistles that I'm still discovering, especially the flash. This picture was taken yesterday in my studio. 

The light on the pencils, pin cushions and number stamps caught my eye - this is what I saw. Everything is soft and, to me, intimate. The photo below was taken with the flash on. While the color is brighter, all the tones are the same, the objects look flat, the number stamps grab too much attention and, to top it off, the neighbor's car across the street shows up. 

To me, taking good photographs is akin to creating good events - it's all about the personal: the mood, the intimacy, the connections made, emphasizing specific areas and subduing others. And lighting always matters. When you succeed in combining all the elements "just right" magic happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment