Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Adores family and all things French

"Adores family and all things French." Several days ago I wrote this six word memoir for my dear friend Anne. She passed away this morning. Anne's generous spirit, singular style and gentle laughter will be sorely missed - she touched so many. The minute I met her I knew I wanted to be her friend. Our friendship was brief - it began when our daughters were 6th graders and now they're college sophomores. Conversations with her were rich - about big things, little things, nothing - we laughed a lot. 

Two summers ago we spent time in France, together with our families - my first time - I don't know how many times she'd been - her French was excellent - she was often mistaken for a native. Her enthusiasm for all things French was contagious and I tried to soak up everything I could with her as my guide. 

I took this photo in Paris - at a little cafĂ© near our hotel in the 5th. We'd go there every morning and have coffee and pastries and the cat was always there. 

Now every time I look at anything "French" she'll be with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment